If you suffer from chronic pain, you are completely aware of how negatively it can affect your daily life. If left untreated, many sufferers of chronic pain begin to develop symptoms of depression because of the ill-effects it has on their quality of life. Pain stops you from engaging in activities you once enjoyed, creates a constant stress and makes you feel like a shadow of your former self. Although there are medications available for pain treatment, many patients are wary of starting a long-term medication regimen. These medications carry many potentially negative side effect, such as the possibility of developing a dependency, and can also be very costly. This is when most people start to research, “What does a chiropractor do?”
Chiropractic Care for Pain Management
Many people believe that chiropractic care is just for the treatment of neck and back pain, often injury related. While many patients do initially seek treatment for this type of pain, they keep coming back when they discover the varied and amazing applications of chiropractic adjustments. Through gentle and targeted spinal manipulations, massage therapy, nutrition consultation and therapeutic exercises, chiropractic care offers effective, non-invasive and drug-free pain management treatment options.
How Does Chiropractic Care Help Patients?
The spine is the protective barrier that surrounds your spinal cord. Your spinal cord is the nerve pathway through which your brain and body communicate with each other. Without your spinal cord, you would not be able to move, breathe or sense anything around you. Thus, if the vertebrae in your spinal cord are misaligned or jammed, the nerve impulses being relayed about your body may face major interference. These misalignments can cause pinched nerves that result in back or neck pain, as well as pain or dysfunction in the areas of your body controlled by the pinched nerve.
Chiropractors are able to evaluate your spinal and neck vertebrae through physical examinations and x-ray imaging. Once your practitioner has diagnosed your trouble areas, they can begin utilizing targeted and effective therapies to help your body achieve harmony by correcting maladaptive alignments. Chiropractic care not only benefits those who suffer from chronic pain or have been injured, but also helps healthy individuals to maintain optimal health by encouraging proper spinal alignment. Some chronic conditions that can be greatly alleviated by chiropractic care are:
- Headaches, including migraines
- Temporomandibular joint and muscle disorders (TMJ)
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Crohn’s Disease
- General neuropathy
These are examples of just some of the more common chronic conditions for which patients often seek help. Consulting with a trusted chiropractic doctor regarding any health issue you deal with is likely to yield restorative and healing results.
Who Benefits from Chiropractic Care?
Obviously, anyone suffering from the above listed conditions will find relief through the compassionate practice of chiropracty. However, people of differing demographics may find particular value in this field of medicine.
- Children – Childhood is a great time to start the lifetime habit of regular chiropractic treatment. The rough play of childhood can damage growing bones, and many children put excessive stress on the spine. Regular checkups keep parents aware of any negative changes related to the functioning of their children’s nervous system.
- Families – Consider bringing your whole family in for regular chiropractic care. It’s a great way to reduce visits to medical doctors, because chiropractors focus on maintaining health and wellness.
- Blue Collar Workers – Due to the repetitive and highly physical nature of many laborer occupations, a number of workers in this field suffer from stress-induced back and neck injuries. Chiropractic care can help to heal the spine, allowing workers to perform at a higher level.
- Office Workers – Long days at a computer desk can cause neck and back strain, wrist problems and headaches. Chiropractic care helps to reduce the stress of repetitive movements and physically sedentary work days.
- Athletes – The body of an athlete is like a finely tuned machine. Like any mechanism, their body requires a maintenance routine. By maintaining proper spinal alignment, athletes are able to perform at their peak level.
When you first visit a chiropractor, you may be surprised at their holistic and patient-focused approach to healthcare. Many medical doctors spend a very brief time with their patients, prescribing pills only to address the symptoms of an illness, not the underlying cause of poor health. The chiropractic field is based upon a fully integrated approach to health, an approach that encourages the body’s innate ability to heal itself. With many patients reporting improvement after their initial treatment, you have nothing to lose by choosing to consult with a chiropractic doctor. You deserve to live a life free of pain, a life in which you can once again enjoy being active with the ones you love. Isn’t it time that you learned about and experienced new modalities of treatment, new avenues through which you can achieve the quality of life you’ve always dreamed of?